AODA Customer Service Policy Statement
GESCO LP (“GESCO”) strives to provide our services in a manner that is accessible to all of our customers, and respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. We are committed to offering equal opportunity to access our products and services and to providing the benefit of the same services, in the same place and in a similar way to all customers.
Providing Goods and Services to People with Disabilities
GESCO is committed to excellence in serving all customers including people with disabilities and we will carry out our functions and responsibilities in the following areas:
We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
We will train staff who communicate with customers on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities. The training video is available online at http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/mcss/serve-ability/splash.html or in our internal Quickbase Application under “Human Resource Documents.”
Roles and Responsibilities
Employer/Senior Management Shall:
- Annually review the program and policy.
- Ensure compliance with this standard.
- Provide equipment, resources and training needed to comply with this standard.
- Provide accessibility awareness training to all employees.
- Ensure that every reported incident is documented and investigated in accordance with the organization’s resolution and progressive discipline guidelines and potential areas for improvement identified.
- Ensure an employee shall be disciplined for an violation of this policy and program.
- Participate and contribute information to employees if they need assistance in providing customer service to a person with a disability.
- Ensure that employees are trained in recognizing and reporting incidents in violation of this program.
- Ensure all contractors, sub-contractors or visitors to the workplace are aware of the employer’s policy regarding accessibility.
- Ensure that every reported incident is documented and investigated in accordance with the organization’s resolution and progressive discipline guidelines and potential areas for improvement are identified.
- Take appropriate action to report or deal with incidents, whether brought to their attention or personally observed. Under no circumstances should the supervisor dismiss or downplay a legitimate complaint, nor should they tell the employee to deal with it personally.
- Ensure that all reasonable measures and precautions are taken to treat all people with disabilities with dignity and respect.
Human Resources Department Shall:
- Ensure all reported incidents are documented, investigated and responded to in accordance with the employer’s conflict resolution and progressive discipline procedures.
- Be responsible for helping to create and maintain an environment that is free from discrimination towards persons with disabilities.
- Be familiar with and follow the accessibility procedures that are in place.
- Participate in training on accessibility for customer service in the workplace.
- Report all incidents in violation of this program to their supervisor, human resources, or any member of senior management.
We are committed to providing fully accessible telephone service to our customers. We will train staff to communicate with customers over the telephone in clear and plain language and to speak clearly and slowly. Customers with hearing disabilities can call their local Toll Free TTY relay phone service for assistance.
We will offer to communicate with customers by email if telephone communication is not suitable to their communication needs or is not available.
We are committed to serving people with disabilities who use assistive devices to obtain, use or benefit from our goods and services.
We will ensure that our staff is trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods or services.
We are committed to providing accessible invoices to all of our customers. For this reason, invoices will be provided in the following formats upon request: hard copy, fax or e-mail.
We will answer any questions customers may have about the content of the invoice in person, by telephone or email.
Use of Service Animals and Support Persons
We are committed to welcoming people with disabilities who are accompanied by a service animal on the parts of our premises that are open to the public and other third parties. We will also ensure that all staff, volunteers and others dealing with the public are properly trained in how to interact with people with disabilities who are accompanied by a service animal.
We are committed to welcoming people with disabilities who are accompanied by a support person. Any person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to enter GESCO’s premises with his or her support person. At no time will a person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person be prevented from having access to his or her support person while on our premises.
Fees will not be charged for support persons for admission to GESCO’s premises. Customers will be informed of this by a notice that will be posted on GESCO’s premises.
Notice of Temporary Disruption
GESCO will provide customers with notice in the event of a planned or unexpected disruption in the facilities or services usually used by people with disabilities. This notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated duration, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
The notice will be placed at all public entrances and service counters on our premises.
Training for Staff
GESCO will provide training to all employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on their behalf, and all those who are involved in the development and approvals of client service policies, practices and procedures. Individuals in the following positions will be trained:
Showroom Sales Rep and backups, Receptionist and backups, Pick up Counter and backups, and Receiving and backups.
Training will include the following:
• The purposes of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the client service standard
• How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
• How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
• What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing GESCO ’s goods and services
• GESCO’s policies, practices and procedures relating to the client service standard.
Applicable staff will be trained on policies, practices and procedures that affect the way goods and services are provided to people with disabilities. Staff will also be trained on an ongoing basis when changes are made to these policies, practices and procedures.
The ultimate goal of GESCO is to meet and surpass client expectations while serving customers with disabilities. Comments on our services regarding how well these expectations are being met are welcome and appreciated.
Feedback regarding the way GESCO provides goods and services to people with disabilities can be made by email. All feedback will be directed to the Director of Operations. Customers can expect to hear back in 2-5 days.
Complaints will be addressed according to complaint categories already established in our company’s complaint management procedure.
Modifications to This or Other Policies
We are committed to developing client service policies that respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. Therefore, no changes will be made to this policy before considering the impact on people with disabilities. Any policy of GESCO that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
Questions About This Policy
This policy exists to achieve service excellence to customers with disabilities. If anyone has a question about the policy, or if the purpose of a policy is not understood, an explanation should be provided by, or referred to, the Human Resources Department of GESCO.